Project updated: 22/12/2016
Print this page
Christchurch Convention Centre
The Christchurch Convention Centre will be a world class conference facility supported by accommodation, retail, hospitality and public transport. In a competitive environment where convention centres around the world are expanding their capacity to accommodate larger events, the Christchurch Convention Centre will be a boutique facility, set in a well organised and compact, regenerating city.
Christchurch lacks appropriate convention facilities which limits the city's tourism potential, economic activity and diversity. The facility will complement the larger 3500-delegate venue in Auckland and the proposed smaller facility in Queenstown.
Ōtākaro is responsible for the design and construction of the Convention Centre. It will also work with parties interested in development opportunities for the wider precinct.
The Convention Centre is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2019.
- Initial work to prepare the precinct site for construction is underway. The section of Gloucester Street between Colombo Street and Oxford Terrace has been closed and underground services are being rerouted around the section.
- Ōtākaro called for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from suitably qualified Main Contractors for the design and construction contract in September 2016.
- Substantial earthworks began in October 2016.
Who else is involved?
- A Mains Contractor will be appointed for the design and construction contract.
- Accor has been selected as the preferred operator and will provide specialist input during the development of the facility. The hotel group manages over 500,000m2 of convention and exhibition space globally.
The Christchurch Convention Centre is being funded by the Crown.
Ngāi Tahu Grand Narrative
This Grand Narrative (10M file) documents the Ngāi Tahu values, customs and traditions relevant to the Convention Centre.
The Christchurch Convention Centre will have capacity to host up to 2000 delegates for a variety of national and international events, with
- a 1400-delegate auditorium
- a 3600m2 exhibition hall
- 1600m2 meeting rooms
The wider precinct will have associated food and beverage, and retail areas.
Next phase of earthworks on Convention Centre site underway
The section of Gloucester Street running through the Convention Centre site will soon be removed as the next stage of earthworks gets underway.Read More
Earthworks underway on Convention Centre Site
Substantial earthworks are now underway on the Christchurch Convention Centre site.Read More
Part of Gloucester Street to Close
The section of Gloucester Street between Colombo Street and Oxford Terrace will be permanently closed from next Friday (5 August) to allow initial work to begin on the Christchurch Convention Centre.Read More
Documents & Downloads
Convention Centre Design Cross Section
6.9 MB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:33am
Convention Centre Key Views
2.4 MB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:39am
Convention Centre Precinct
2.6 MB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:40am
Convention Centre Fact Sheet
632 KB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:42am
Convention Centre Timeline
431 KB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:43am
Convention Centre Artist Impression
1.1 MB Uploaded 25/09/2016 9:43am